Preparation is everything
The better you prepare for the interview the less likely the chance that you will come across a question that will surprise you.
• Be well prepared-Do some research beforehand so you know who you are meeting and the interviewers' position in the company
• Conduct research on the company - always check the website
• Be early. Always try to get to the interview 10 minutes prior to the confirmed time
• Dress appropriately smart / professional
• Be polite to support staff - receptionists etc.
• Make eye contact immediately when greeted
• Smile and be friendly
• Give a confident handshake
• Thank the interviewer for taking the time to meet with you
• Show interest in the job and the company
• Be enthusiastic
• Be relaxed and don't slouch
• Position yourself so that your body is facing the other person
• Watch your body language - do not cross your arms
• Make regular eye contact
• Let the interviewer lead the conversation
• Listen carefully to the questions asked and ask them to repeat or re-phrase the question if you are unclear
• Be honest with your answers-do not bluff!
• Answer what you have been asked and try not to go off on tangents
• Do not interrupt the interviewer
• Ask questions throughout the interview about the role, the company and the nature of the business
• Ask when to expect news and/or feedback
Some Sample Questions you may be asked at an interview
Each interview is unique and questions will vary in each occasion. There is an exhaustive list of questions that may be asked, however by considering some frequently asked questions, set-out below, it will assist you in your preparation and interview success:
• Tell me about yourself.
• How would your contemporaries describe you?
• What makes you different from the other candidates for this position?
• Describe the accomplishment of which you are the most proud.
• Why should we hire you?
• What do you know about our company?
• What interests you about this company?
• What strengths and attributes could you bring to this position?
• Why did you choose to study your particular degree?
• What are your career goals?
• What would you like to be doing five/ten years from now?
• What do you believe are the key issues and problems in our industry today?
• What do you think it takes to be successful in this field?
• In what kind of work environment do you do your best work?
• With what kind of people do you like to work?
• What kind of tasks and responsibilities motivate you the most?
• What is your ideal job?
• Tell me about what you learned from your previous jobs.
• What did you dislike most about your last job?
• What is your greatest weakness?
• What has been your greatest challenge?
• What do you enjoy doing outside of work-in your free time?
• On successful completion of the interview, contact your consultant in GKR and they will take you through the next stage - whether this is an offer or a second round interview.
• It is important to jot down a few notes on the interview as soon as you finish.
The 3 most important aspects of any interview is to:
Please do not hesitate to contact your GKR consultant if you would like to receive further information on preparing for an interview. We have a number of experienced consultants who specialise in interview preparation and technique. We are not only here to match you to the right role, we offer a full consultative service including mock interview preparation.